Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Perks of Virtual school

My house, like most of yours, is occasionally busy, chaotic and disorganized. While none of us likes to live in that moment, life does have a way of creeping up on us and messing with the best of plans. Almost a year ago, I fell and broke a vertebra in my back. Fortunately, it was treated quickly and effectively and I am on my way to a full recovery. But, during the last twelve months, I have been unable to do many of the things that I used to do for my family. Virtual schooling has helped my family get through this.

The flexibility of time is one of the best assets of virtual schooling. My children have elluminate classes that they attend, but outside of those few hours a week, they are free to schedule their schoolwork as it fits into the rest of life. Because of this, my daughter can drive me to therapy. I don't need to depend on a neighbor, or ask my husband to take time off of work. We have managed to avoid paying for in home care for me throughout this time. Because of this flexibility, my children are available to help with shopping and dinner plans. And, as I have recovered, my daughters have been available to help neighbors, to volunteer at church, to watch school aged children who were out of school unexpectedly last week.

Life happens, and this week, my dryer has decided to die. If my children had to attend a traditional school, I would have been forced to find a way to get the laundry to the laundromat while we wait for the repair service. The challenge of lifting heavy laundry in and out of a car is just too much for me at the moment. But, because they aren't at a traditional school, they can wear their pajamas "to class". No one will tease them if they are wearing an out of style fashion. Plus, they have the time to hang clothes on the line to dry. None of this would be possible if we were out of the house for 8 hours each day.

Lunches are another perk. I have never had to buy a school lunch. I don't even have to plan for sandwiches, plastic utensils etc. for them to take their own lunch. There are leftovers from last night that can be reheated in the microwave. And, if all else fails, a frozen pizza can be popped into the oven. These are options a "normal" school aged child doesn't have.

I strongly believe that virtual schooling is not for every family. There are drawbacks. But, for me and my family, the perks are too good to pass up. What perks have you seen in your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment