Monday, July 23, 2012

Full Circle

Today is the day that I have chosen to accept my daughters choice. She wants to be homeschooled. She's 17. She is mature and responsible and intelligent. I guess she should have a say in the matter. So, six years of virtual schooling, and I'm back where I began.

Hi, I'm Karen. I'm a homeschool mom.

One of the things that has changed over the last few years is the presence of homeschooling online. Perhaps that would be more accurate if I said, the lack of homeschooling presence online. It was 16 years ago that I logged into my first homeschool message board. It wasn't facebook. It wasn't real time posting. But, there were a group of women (and some men) from across the US. We supported each other with friendship and camaraderie throughout the challenges of homeschooling.

I went online to search for a similar, albeit updated, version of this group. It's no longer there, and there doesn't appear to be anything to take it's place. There were a number of links to pseudo scam organizations willing to take my money to "tutor" my child, but no way to find friends in my area.

I should be more precise. There are home school organizations that meet within a 30 mile radius of me. I was unable to find any that were open to all homeschoolers. There was a Baptist group, a Catholic group, an Assemblies of God group (odd, we don't have an AG church anywhere around here. Must be a very small group). There was the ubiquitous "Christian Home Educators Association" located in a community about 45 minutes away. Not a single "Homeschool Families who have chosen to do this because they want the best education humanly possible for their child regardless of the personal cost and sacrifice necessary to achieve this goal" Maybe that's too verbose. I'd settle for "Diverse Homeschoolers"

No comments:

Post a Comment