Monday, September 10, 2012

Balance

Six years ago, when I was homeschooling before, there was a balance between homeschooling and life. Homeschooling took 100% of my time. My life took 0. So much has changed; my children have changed; I have changed. That particular equilibrium won't work. But, what will?

Today, I have a job that takes 25 - 30 hours per week. My Pilates class at the Y meets one day per week. Child #1 has a babysitting job that takes her away 2 afternoons per week. Volunteers at church 2 mornings and 1 evening per week. Participates in a club one afternoon per week. Child #2 works 10 - 14 hours per week. Volunteers at church 1 morning and 1 evening per week. Participates in a club one afternoon per week, and complains about no social life. :-(

This is not leaving us enough time for actual studying to take place. Yes, they are both responsible young women. Yes, they are quite capable of making sure they do the assignments. But, there is little time for instruction. We are three weeks into the school year (is it three?) and already the girls are behind in Calculus and Physics. They should be taking their first unit exam in both subjects at the end of this week. I'm not sure they will get there.

However, my youngest did keep interrupting our last physics teaching time to ask questions. Her questions were good and insightful - though not always precisely on topic. She was showing interest in the learning for the first time in a long time. That was why I chose this journey. And with that bit of encouragement, I will continue. Even if I am quite off balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment