Tuesday, February 8, 2011

my opinion as of 1/6/09

I, personally, am planning on switching to a different virtual school that offers k12 curriculum. (this was written when my daughters were at WLVS - the former WIVA in the Ozaukee school district.) The ease of use is unsurpassed. The scheduling is simple and direct. Material is easy to locate and instructions are clear (most of the time). The progress bar might be a huge source of irritation some days, but I like the visual representation that it gives. I like a calendar that lists all the courses together.

Currently, at Insight, each course has a pace chart that tells the child what needs to be done in that class for any given date. So, to find out what needs to be done on Tuesday, the child has to look in each course, click on Lesson plan, click on schedule and then scroll to the assignment due on the date in question, write it down and go one to course number 2. When courses are written by different providers, they are set up differently. This means that writing assignments or online reading or interactive lessons will each be listed in a different location. Figuring out what is required by whom is a challenge. Most assignments are not computer scored, therefore there is no immediate feedback to direct the child in their studies. Teachers grade hundreds of papers per year, not just the 15 - 20 required by WIVA. This means that sometimes some teachers get behind in their grading. This can be terribly frustrating because it reflects poorly on the child's grade that appears on the main login page. I especially dislike the science programs put out by Aventa, Apex and Florida. They have very very few hands on assignments. It's almost all "read this passage and write a paragraph". I don't feel they encourage the synthesis of the material at all.

2 comments:

  1. I spoke with a counselor at Insight today and she shared something big happened with the curriculumn they had a meeting Tuesday and at this point have no idea what curriculumn provider they will use next year? Any info??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to call some people I know at Insight. No one is available. They are all at different Open House events around the state.

    This is what I do know. The corporation known as Insight Schools, which runs virtual schools in Washington, Colorado, Wisconsin and some other places, was recently acquired. The details are not allowed to be made public until for financial reasons - I'm assuming that part. I've just been told that no one can tell me details until all is finalized. I do not know who bought them. I do know it was not KC Distance. (the same people who merged with K12, PowerGlide, Keystone, etc.) I do know that there will be changes at the executive level in Washington.

    As to our school, I am told nothing. They are considering changing the foreign language provider. This would allow for greater options in languages.

    I am going to continue to try to get answers. Unfortunately, everyone is out of town, so it might take a week or so before we get this sorted out.

    I will post the answer when it comes.

    ReplyDelete